Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chapstick:: Homemade

Photobucket
So random fact about me:: I love making my own products- from deodorant to toothpaste, my own dishwashing soap to my own soft scrub- I have tried them all. I love to do it with affordable and healthy ingredients as well.
For Christmas, I made a ton of homemade chopstick and gave them out as various little gifts. It was SO easy and really fun! Here is how to do it!

Here is what you'll need
2 TBL. (1 oz.) Beeswax
2 TBL. Coconut oil
2 TBL. Shea Butter
essential oil
12 lip balm containers
dropper

1. Melt beeswax in a small pan over low heat. Add coconut oil and shea butter until all ingredients a melted. Add a few drops essential oil if desired.
2. Using a small dropper, pour the melted liquid into your lip balm containers. Add a few extra drops to the top after filling each container as the ingredients will shrink as they cool.
3. Cool completely to harden. Cover with cap and decorate or label as desired.

Photobucket
Here is the coconut oil I use and the shea butter is in a bag right next to it.

Photobucket
I loved using Peppermint oil- I added some tea tree oil in as well.

Photobucket
Finished product!! I got tubes as well as little tins to put the chapstick in. They both work great!


I got the containers, beeswax, and essential oil through a store in Woodward, IA called Prairie Land Herbs
The coconut oil is from Azure Standard
Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

Kara K said...

Totally a Sarah item - what essential oil did you use for your Christmas chapsticks?

Sarah Franczyk said...

I think it was peppermint and tea tree.

Stubborn Hope said...

I LOVE the chapstick and the lavender perfume you made me and I use them both all the time! :)