Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lara Bars:: Recipe

Photobucket
I think it is amazing how simple these are to make. They have but a few ingredients- but are incredibly satisfying! I had honestly never tried the store bought kind before I started making these. But I know they are a lot more affordable to make them at home- and easy!!

Photobucket
So here are the ingredients you will need. I actually did put in a little bit of vanilla- but forgot to include that one in the picture.


Lara Bar Recipe


2 cups dates
1/2 cup peanuts
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
bit of vanilla


Process dates and vanilla- put them in a bowl
Process peanuts and cinnamon- add to the mixture
Form into bars- wrap in saran wrap. Easy!



Photobucket
I accidentally ordered unsalted peanuts from Azure and I knew my loving husband wouldn't be too keen on helping eat 5 lbs. of them. So using them to make these was perfect!

Photobucket
These are the dates- I usually get them through Azure, but got them at Costco this time.

Photobucket
Cinnamon in bulk from Azure

Photobucket
Processing the dates

Photobucket
This is what the date mixture will look like. O.k. I have to admit- I did this recipe a few weeks ago- and I didn't get the quantities right at first. I needed more date power- so after I had already done the peanuts, I went back and did more dates. I believe the quantity I put in the recipe is correct- but if yours is too sticky- add more peanuts! If it's not sticky enough- add more dates!!

Photobucket
Processing the peanuts

Photobucket
Peanuts after being food processed

Photobucket
My kitchen help- isn't she cute!!

Photobucket
At this point- make sure you take all your rings off! Dive in- and pretend like you are playing with play dough! Mix the date mixture and peanut mixture together. This is what it will end up looking like.
Then form into balls or bars- wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate! It's just too easy. And you can make all different kinds of them. My family is not super picky- so I try to get away with using as little and as inexpensive, but quality, ingredients as I can. So that is why I didn't use 2 kinds of dried fruit.

Photobucket
The end product

Photobucket
As you can see- by Gwenyth's little hand- she really wanted to try these! Hope you enjoy them!

No comments: